Thursday, September 30, 2010

Some closure?

Well, it's 4:45am, jet lag is a pain, and at this point I'm writing this more for my own benefit than anything else... However if anyone is still checking this, enjoy!

Firstly - the final map (a big two days worth of riding!)

View Larger Map

where from Tokushima, we took an 18-hr ferry right in to Tokyo. (Cheating? Perhaps! The ferry meant we got to spend the last two weeks in Kyushu and Shikoku, rather than in the suburbs of Tokyo.)

Secondly - I'm counting up the kilometres.
July, in Hokkaido: 1839.14km.(July 2 - July 27)
August, Honshu, Oma to Hiroshima: 1990.63 (July 31 - August 30)
September, Hiroshima -> Shimonoseki, Kyushu, Shikoku: 1314.87 (Sept 2 - Sept 18)
GRAND TOTAL (Since the calculator application is already open)
5144.64km
with the longest day being 139.84km.

And, I guess a few more pictures while I'm at it:


-Matt at Cape Muroto, Shikoku's second most southerly point, and a fine stand-in for Cape Sata I might add, which ended up being too far and quite frankly not interesting enough to be worth going to.


Our final campsite on the road - sheltered, serenaded by the crashing surf, with a beautiful natural rock formation a stone's throw away! The only problem was the thousands of weird bugs running around everywhere. Technically they weren't "bugs" as they had about a dozen legs each, but they weren't centipedes either which was fortunate....I had dubbed them "Land Shrimp." They were large, creepy, and unexpectedly slow to escape my stomping foot. (Gross.)


-Looking inland up one of Shikoku's alluring, mysterious valleys. Damn it...next time.

And, lastly

-Our FINAL night on the road. We spent the night at this 24hr internet cafe before getting on the ferry the next morning. If you can get past the cigarette smoke and lack of actual GOOD video games (grindy Japanese MMOs were all we had to go with) it was actually a pretty good place to spend a night!

Anyway, at this point after 2 weeks of no updates I imagine I'm mostly writing to myself, but if anyone IS out there, thanks again for reading, and stay tuned for a comprehensive ranking of Japan's various convenience store chains.

2 comments:

  1. It's been a pretty awesome chronicle, and was a lot of fun reading the posts! Definitely inspiring, and while I may not actually bike around Hokkaido, Saeko and I are thinking to motorcycle around there... bit of cheating, but we never really considered it til your guys' adventure!

    And how can you NOT have a good night at a place with Funky Time plastered on the wall?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ey Zack & Matt !
    Great stuff ! Congrats on doing the trip.
    I have been too busy with my move to post but I see that you lived some great adventures ! :)

    PS: Zack say the truth I know you went to Japan to beat at least somoene once in your life in basketball due to your small height ... ;)

    ReplyDelete